Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Get those shoes on!


Well it's almost time to get a walkin'! Loads of thanks to all those that are supporting us and have been cheering us on all this time. I'm looking forward to the 100k, a little anxious for sure, but what the hell. It beats downloading and watching pirated movies on the good ol' mac. (DO NOT watch Baby on Board)

I just read an article forwarded to me by Amol, which talked about the positive aspects of pairing up charity events and physical challenges, a particularly interesting side note was that this OXFAM TRAILWALKER event is actually based on an old military exercise for Nepalese Ghurka soldiers when that part of the world was a British territory. I imagine those Ghurkas shaking their heads and swearing in Nepali when they find out that it's turned into an event of over 200 teams repeated in 9 different countries every year...for fun! They'd probably laugh if they saw most of the folks at the start line, beer bellied bankers, skinny IT nerds and tiny little asian women all stretching their legs in their "performance enhancing" tights and neon colored Nike Free tennis shoes. Indeed, laughable. 

So why do it? While a small percentage of the participants MUST have have some kind of masochistic motive (I sometimes think I might fall into this category, just look at what I do for money), I'd like to think it has more to do with what those folks in that article were talking about, Challenge and Charity. Personally, I want to challenge myself to be a better person and break some bad habits/limits, whether they be physical, mental, or whatever. Charity doesn't sound too bad either, the Lord knows I could do with a few more Karma points. Although I won't be personally involved in helping anybody... but myself... and maybe a few teammates:), I really trust this OXFAM organization and am very grateful to be able to raise money to enable them to do good works and empower many individuals and communities around the world.

Hmm, I wonder what the Ghurkas would say about that??? Anyway, to the rest of the Do-Life boys and girls, See ya on the mountain!

No comments:

Post a Comment